I recently wrote about giving paper beads a complete glue bath. Since it was so messy, I tried it again with disposable gloves. There will be no picture in this post. Why would I take a picture of spilt glue? Apparently the plastic of the gloves stuck to my little glue cup just enough to cause a mishap. After catching it from falling a few more times, I took the gloves off and forged ahead.
Epilogue: It took me a few days to completely peel the glue from my hands.#!
I still do not know if this dipping provides a more quality paper bead. Hmmm.
Are We Having Fun Yet?
Based on what I have seen and read in other places, I recently sealed my beads differently. I dipped my beads in watered-down glue.
The supplies I used:
Small disposable plastic cup
Approximately 10 inches of tigertail
One medium size jump ring
Glue (I am a fan of Mod Podge.)
Something to stir with
-In disposable cup, water down glue into something close to a slightly thin cake batter
-Make enough so that bead will be covered by glue
-Tie jump ring to one end of tigertail
-Put one bead on tigertail (jump ring is stopper) and slowly lower into glue
-Leave in long enough to get thoroughly wet, but not soaked
-Since I was experimenting I used two slightly different methods of finishing
1. Let the bead drip for a bit and then carefully place on wax paper
2. Let the bead drip and then very lightly take a wet paper towel remove excess glue and place on wax paper
Either way, I kept the beads moving after they were dipped. The little rascals will glue themselves down to wax paper if left alone.
The outcome was good either way, albeit messy. I ended up with glue on my hands and nails. With practice and more of a factory-line approach, this may get better. However, knowing me, it is going to be messy no matter what.
The sealant from this dunking still needed more layers according to my own sense of appropriateness. Initially, I tried this dipping method because I thought it would be a better way to seal the paper inside the wrap. It is. However, I have torn that theory to bits when I started to add more layers of sealant via a brush. Again some smaller beads would stick to the toothpick. Beads could easily have had their “insides out.” (See pictures from my blog, September 26, 2011.) Grrrrrr.
I’m thinking the best way to seal paper beads using this method is to either submerge, dry, submerge, dry, etc. Or, make dipping the last step.
We learn as we go.
When it comes to paper beads I am a “work in progress.” I wanted to make small paper beads to use in place of metal spacer beads. So far so good. When I started, the aggravation began. Maybe others find them easy, but I have to say, thusfar, they deserve the Most Difficult Paper Bead award.
The beads are so small that gluing/sealing them was an almost impossible task. The paper would stick to the toothpick, glue and varnish would be all over my fingers, counters were not safe. They are now complete. Fin-a-lly.
Have fun with your own projects,